Up-to-date Safety News

Fire forces evacuation of BMW Century City

A fire sparked in an indoor parking lot of the building housing the Cape Town branch of BMW SMG has forced an evacuation.

Reports on Twitter suggested the BMW SMG showroom in Century City was the actual source of the fire, and many vehicles may have been in danger.

Dealer principal for BMW SMG Cape Town Mark Ross, however, refuted those suggestions, telling News24 the fire broke out in an indoor parking lot above the BMW showroom, on the first floor of the Gateway House building just before noon on Thursday.

Tenants at the building were evacuated.

It’s believed that leaves at the back of a bakkie belonging to a landscaper caught alight.

Ross also said that there was no damage to the BMW dealership or any of the cars.

“Most of the cars are out of the showroom and we parked them in a parkade at the top of the building. They are all safe,” he told News24.

No injuries were reported, ER24 tweeted on Thursday.

Fire and Rescue Cape Town were unavailable for comment at the time of the incident, but witnesses on the ground, including representatives from Century City property management, have said the fire has since been extinguished and tenants have gone back into the building.

The latest news follows a spate of both natural and office fires plaguing the greater Cape Town area this past month.

 

Article provided with the kind courtesy of www.news24.com

Courses and Workshops

 

                   

 

   

 Our Clients 

 

Android App On Google Play

Android App On Google Play